** NEW : Deadline extension Jan. 27 and JISA Special issue**
Themes and Topics of Interest
We invite submissions of papers that describe original, unpublished, high-quality research, properly placing the work in the context of the state of the art, and clearly indicating the work’s innovative aspects and contributions to the field.
We would like to welcome high-quality contributions along the following two lines:
1. Web research that focuses on Latin American problematics or on applications to the region.
2. Innovative Web developments by Latin American researchers worldwide or by Latin American institutions.
Overall, we seek novel and exciting work in all areas of Web research including, but not limited to the following:
* Influence propagation, information diffusion, and online democracy
* Detecting, understanding, and combating disinformation and misinformation
* Fraud, spam, and malice detection
* Mitigation of abusive and discriminatory behavior
* E-commerce, E-Science, and E-government
* E-Learning and Moocs
* Humanities, arts, and culture on the Web
* Mobility and ubiquitous Web access in emerging regions
* Security, privacy, and rights management
* Social media, collaboration, and web communities
* Usability, accessibility and user interfaces
* User modeling, recommender systems and personalization
* Visualization and interaction
* Data mining, search, and analytics
* Engineering: Performance, reliability, and scalability
* Ethical issues
* Crisis informatics
* Fairness, bias, and transparency in algorithms
All submissions will be evaluated on the basis of originality, quality, and technical contribution. LA-WEB proceedings will be published jointly with The Web Conference proceedings.
Authors may submit full papers (max 8 pages), or short papers (max 4 pages) written in English. Papers must be submitted at https://easychair.org/my/conference.cgi?conf=laweb2019, in PDF according to the ACM format published in the ACM guidelines (www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template), selecting the generic “sigconf” sample. The PDF files must have all non-standard fonts embedded.
Special issue of the Journal of Internet Services and Applications (JISA)
The authors of best papers accepted at LA-WEB 2019 will be invited to participate with extended versions of their work in a special issue of JISA.
To facilitate the participation of researchers from Latin America in both LA-WEB and The Web Conference 2019, we are negotiating grants for covering the participation of authors with accepted papers. Grants will cover authors of papers accepted for LA-WEB to present their papers and to attend The Web Conference 2019. Each grant will typically cover expenses with economic class airline tickets, lodging and a 5 days full-pass (early-bird fee, without gala dinner).
Brazilian Authors: The Brazilian Internet Steering Committee – CGI.br, through the Brazilian Network Information Centre – NIC.br, will sponsor at least 8 grants for Brazilian authors.
Chilean Authors: The Chilean Network Information Centre – NIC.cl, will sponsor 2 grants for Chilean authors.
Regarding authors from other countries, we will release information on grants as they become available.